The winter is here again and what better way than to sit on your couch and enjoy a hot cup of espresso! Yes you can. And guess what, you don’t need to spend a dime in purchasing best espresso machine! Sounds like a far away fantasy right? Well, here is a simple do it yourself guide showing the easy steps to make espresso without an espresso machine. Now you don’t have to do without your caffeine fix just because the roads are impassable due to the snow.
Espresso is a type of coffee that is well known for its strong flavor. It is made by forcing hot steam through ground coffee beans. Pressure is the key to making perfect espresso. Although an espresso machine uses 8-10 bar of pressure to fire water through the grounds hence very good quality espresso, you can still make good quality espresso using other different ways. One of the next best ways to make espresso is to use a stove top coffee maker that makes espresso that’s equally good in taste. This is really inexpensive.
How to make Espresso coffee using a stove top coffee maker
- Stove top espresso maker
- Espresso coffee- finely ground
- Espresso cups (small in size)- fill the cup halfway for 1 shot
- Flavorings of your choice (syrup or sugar)
- Finely ground the espresso.
- Fill water into the stove top coffee maker but ensure that you don’t overfill past the indicated mark.
- Cover with the coffee maker with the sieve like top and then scoop espresso into it. You should pat, not press, the espresso after every scoop to make it as compact as possible inside the sieve like top.
(Tip: Add twice as much coffee into the pot to make really strong espresso).
- Screw in the top as tightly as possible and then turn on your stove to the highest setting so that you bring up the coffee to a boil as fast as possible. This will likely take between 3-6 minutes.
- Turn off the stove and then let it sit for thirty seconds ( half a minute) for the pot to cool down.
- Pour the espresso out into the cup halfway and add your favorite flavoring whether sugar or syrup. Drink your espresso right after brewing to enjoy its unique taste and aroma.
The second alternative to making home made espresso without espresso machine, is by use of a French press. You boil some water then set aside. you ground espresso beans and scoop, to taste, into a glass jug. Pour hot water into the ground beans and let it stand for a while when covered. The longer you let it seep , the stronger the flavor. You can sieve to remove the run away coffee particles, sweeten it to taste and voila! you enjoy your fantastic drink.
Espresso machines are quiet costly. You can tell this by the price of good espresso in most restaurants.You absolutely don’t need to have your fix of coffee at a restaurant. Now you can DIY in the comfort of your home and produce a great tasting drink. Give it a try sometime and see how you will be transformed from just a coffee lover into a seasoned coffee artist.